Wood used in Timberframe pegs is selected with as linear and clear a grain as possible. This reduces the likelihood of breakage.
- Straight pegs and double chamfered are turned approximately 10 thousandths oversize, (that’s a bit less than 1/64″”).
- Double chamfered pegs have a decorative 45 degree chamfer on either end.
- Tapered pegs are 1/64″” over the measurement, tapered to 1/64″” under.
- Drawbore pegs are like tapered pegs, but the first 3″” is sharply tapered to 5/8″” diameter.
- Timber Framers for joining the pieces of their frames together
- Log Builders in building traditional log trusses
- To hold one log to another in a log wall stack
- In kit log construction they are sometimes used at the point where two logs are spliced together to form a longer run…helps to both hold in place and as a air and bug infiltration barrier.
- Traditional wooden boat builders use them in a variety of applications.
These pegs are made of air-dried hardwoods…most commonly Red Oak…some builders prefer White Oak or Black Locust…particularly for exterior uses as they have a bit more rot resistance, and may switch to Red Oak for interior use as it’s a bit more pliable. We sell more Red Oak than the other options.
- Wooden pegs should be stored in a cool dry place as they can shrink or swell depending upon the humidity in your area.
- Drill bits can vary in size. Therefore, some builders have an assortment of bits. They drill test holes before using the pegs so they can match the bit to the pegs on hand.
- For those of you using the 1″” Wood Owl…you’ll find it’s actually 25mm and slightly undersized for these pegs. We can custom order 25mm pegs…takes several weeks at times and they’re non-returnable.
- If you’re working with hard woods, such as White Oak or occasionally Douglas Fir, some builders prefer to use a tapered peg.
- Pegs are coated with wax (e.g. put into a large tumbler with several blocks of wax and slow tumbled until they’re totally coated with a light coating of wax. It will look slightly shiny). They can still expand/contract a bit with the humidity over time…thus the suggestion to have a few different brands of drill bits in your arsenal.
Contact Us if you need a special size, specie, profile…remember custom peg orders can take several weeks…plan accordingly.
Showing all 5 results
8″ Hardwood pegshdw0065-pegs-8 8" Hardwood pegs are available air-dried in your choice of Red Oak, White Oak or Black Locust$0.83 – $1.05 Details/Purchase
10″ Hardwood pegshdw0065-pegs-10 Wood pegs are available in air-dried hardwood, your choice of Red Oak, White Oak or Black Locust$0.90 – $1.16 Details/Purchase
12″ hardwood pegshdw0065-pegs-12 Wood pegs are available in air-dried hardwood, your choice of Red Oak, White Oak or Black Locust$0.98 – $1.29 Details/Purchase
Longer than 12″ pegshdw0065-pegs-long Timber Frame Pegs: Bundles of 50$71.25 – $90.00 Details/Purchase
- are available in 14', 16", and 18" lengths.
Drawbore Pegshdw-0065-drawbore-pegs Available in Red Oak Lengths of 12" and 15" available$1.30 – $1.75 Details/Purchase