Snatch blocks (some folks call them pulleys), assist in both redirecting the cable and increasing your pulling power…as well as getting you ‘out of the bight’… that’s the direct line that the cable or your load will travel in if the cable happened to break.
The Lewis Winch Snatch Blocks are made to open in two stages, which allows you to easily change the anchor position from one anchor point to another, or to try a different anchoring device without having to remove the winch cable from the Snatch Block
The Lewis Winch itself is rated at 4,000 lbs. straight line – or 8,000 pounds using one Snatch Block. As the load is distributed between the Snatch Block and the winch, only a fraction of the total load actually weighs on the Snatch Block.
We carry two sizes of snatch blocks:
The N1002 Snatch Block Small – 3″ diameter
- Rated to 1.5 ton working load (3000 lb.)
- Breaking strength 13,668 pounds when using the standard 3/16″ cable that comes with the Lewis Winch.
- Weight…around 3-1/4 lbs.
- NOTE: The working load of this snatch block is lower than the rated working load of the winch. Pay attention to what you’re moving…if in doubt…get the large size.
The N1003 Snatch Block-large – 5″ diameter
- Rated to 4.5 tons working load
- 39,903 pound breaking point when using the standard 3/16″ cable that comes with the Lewis Winch.
- Can also use with a rope winch as it can handle up to 1/2″ diameter rope.
NOTE: ‘snatch block’, ‘pulley’, ‘wire rope blocks’, ‘cable blocks’ are essentially the same thing for our purposes here.