Sashco Colorfast pre-stain base coat
Applies before staining, Sashco Colorfast Pre-Stain Base Coat evens out wood porosity, creating a smoother surface for stain application and preventing over-absorption and a too-dark color.
Colorfast also allows your finish to go further…potentially big savings.
Expect to use a gallon of Colorfast to cover between 250 and 400 square feet. Old porous wood takes more than new smooth wood with recently cob blasted wood somewhere in between.
Colorfast is a base coat/primer that strengthens the glue (lignin), that binds the wood cells together, preventing yellowing of the underlying wood cells to help you maintain a consistent color year after year.
After staining, the lignin stabilizers prevent the wood underneath from getting sunburned, leaving the stain applied on top looking the same year after year.
Colorfast delivers the ideal base coat for stain application and leaves behind the strong foundation necessary for long-lasting color.
- Keeps the color the color: Lignin (wood cell glue) stabilizers prevent yellowing and darkening of the wood itself overtime, which in turn prevent color shifts in the stain applied over top. Light colors stay light and darker colors don’t shift too dark.
- Reduces blotchiness: Fills pores for a smoother surface and more even stain application. Great for blasted, rough-sawn, knotty pine, or milled logs
- Prevents picture-frame effect on interior wood: Apply on bare wood on the interior of the home and under Sashco’s Symphony® interior clear coat to avoid yellowing around wall décor. In effect, lots of additional UV inhibitors which helps preserve the natural wall colors.
- Use under any Sashco stain: Using oil-based Transformation Log & Timber? Water-based Capture®, Cascade®, or Symphony®? No problem. Colorfast will add durability to whatever coating is applied over it.
- Easier stain application: Greatly reduces the need to back brush the stain applied over top…you still back brush, it will go quicker and easier.
- Great as a log keeper coat: Prevents mold and yellowing due to UV damage on new wood as it moves from the mill to the job site and throughout construction. Contains both mildew-cide and algae-cide to help preserve the wood until it’s time to stain. Or, life happened and you need to wait for a few weeks between prep and staining? No problem.
- Seal those ends: When applied heavily on log ends, prevents over-penetration of stain and log ends that are darker than the rest of the logs.
- NOTE: Colorfast pre-stain base coat cannot freeze…time your orders so it’s not shipping in freezing weather…and keep from freezing once you receive it.