Defy Deck Stain for Hardwoods
DEFY Deck Stain for Hardwoods is a synthetic, semi-transparent finish specifically formulated for use on Cedar, Mahogany, Redwood, and other dense or difficult to penetrate woods. In this case the term ‘hardwoods’ is a bit of a misnomer…think difficult to penetrate, rather than softwood vs. hardwood…e.g. Oak, Mahogany, Cedar (due to the natural oils).
- DEFY deck stain for hardwoods works well on composite woods
- Excellent penetration helps eliminate surface buildup and peeling.
- Superior UV protection, highly transparent, water repellent, weather resistant, breathable.
- Available Sizes: 1 and 5 gallon containers
- Coverage Rate: A gallon will cover 100-150 sq. ft. with 2 coats (Composites need only one coat)
- Application Temperatures: Between 45-95 degrees F
- Application Method: Pump sprayer, airless sprayer, pad applicator or brush…always back-brush
- Dry Time: 2-4 hours (Allow 24 hours before using)
- Cleanup: Soap and water
DEFY® Deck Stain for Hardwoods can be used on interior or exterior smooth hardwood surfaces including: wood siding, decks, outdoor wood furniture, and other hardwood surfaces. For more porous surfaces such as pressure treated lumber, pine and rough sawn lumber, use DEFY® Extreme Wood Stain. (Extreme is the Epoxy Fortified with the addition of Zinc Oxides for better UV protection).
Note: Due to the synthetic resins that lessen the chance of the finish itself being a “food” source for the mold and mildew, DEFY has a lower level of fungicides added that most other exterior finishes (this is why many people are comfortable using it on the interior). In rainy climates we recommend adding Mildewcide additive.
You’ll know it’s time to refinish by checking to see if finish is allowing moisture to be absorbed by the wood within a couple of seconds. (You test this by “flicking” some water onto the surface of the wood. If the water drops soak into the wood within a second or two, then it’s time to re-coat).